Fairy-type Pokémon may appear cute and innocent, but don’t be fooled by their charming looks – they are powerful adversaries in battle. Introduced in Gen 6, Fairy-types have become popular for their strength against Dragon-type Pokémon. In this article, we will explore Fairy Pokémon weaknesses and resistances, delve into their strengths, and offer some of the best counters to use against them in battle.
What is a Fairy-type Pokémon?
Fairy-type Pokémon were introduced in Gen 6 with Pokémon X & Y, making them the newest type in the franchise. Generally, they have a cute appearance and pink color schemes, although there are some exceptions, like Galarian Weezing and Grimmsnarl.
Many Pokémon released before Gen 6 were given Fairy as a secondary typing, such as the Water/Fairy-type Azumarill. As a result, trainers often need to consider a second type when fighting Fairy-type Pokémon, which can affect their weaknesses and the best counters to use.
Fairy-type Pokémon Weaknesses
Fairy-type Pokémon have two primary weaknesses: Poison and Steel-type attacks. To successfully defeat a Fairy-type Pokémon, trainers should ensure they have Poison or Steel-type Pokémon on their team, with movesets that match their types for maximum effectiveness.
Some examples of Poison-type Pokémon that can be effective against Fairy-types include:
- Roserade: With its high Special Attack and access to powerful moves like Sludge Bomb, Roserade can deal significant damage to Fairy-type opponents.
- Gengar: This speedy Ghost/Poison-type Pokémon can utilize moves like Sludge Wave or Sludge Bomb to quickly dispatch Fairy-types.
- Salazzle: A Fire/Poison-type Pokémon with access to moves like Sludge Bomb and Flamethrower, Salazzle can be a formidable opponent against Fairy-types.
However, be cautious when using Poison-types, as many Fairy-type Pokémon can learn Psychic-type attacks, which are super-effective against Poison-types.
Steel-type Pokémon are another excellent choice for countering Fairy-types. Some examples include:
- Metagross: This Psychic/Steel-type Pokémon boasts high Attack and Defense stats, making it a tough opponent for Fairy-types. Moves like Meteor Mash and Bullet Punch can be highly effective.
- Melmetal: With its impressive Attack and Defense, Melmetal can utilize moves like Double Iron Bash and Gyro Ball to devastate Fairy-type Pokémon.
- Dialga: A Dragon/Steel-type legendary Pokémon with access to powerful moves like Flash Cannon and Roar of Time, Dialga can make short work of Fairy-types.
Equipped with Steel-type moves, these Pokémon can quickly defeat Fairy-types in battle. Moreover, Steel-type Pokémon do not have any significant weaknesses that Fairy-types can exploit, making them reliable counters.
Fairy-type Pokémon Strengths & Resistances
Fairy-type Pokémon have a significant advantage against Dark, Dragon, and Fighting-type opponents. It is advisable to avoid using these types in battle against a Fairy-type Pokémon.
When it comes to resistances, Fairy-type Pokémon are immune to Dragon-type attacks and resistant to Bug, Dark, and Fighting-type moves.
- Fighting-type Pokémon: Fairy-types are super-effective against Fighting-types, making them excellent choices to counter this type.
- Dragon-type Pokémon: Fairy-type moves are not only super-effective against Dragon-types, but Fairy-type Pokémon are also immune to Dragon-type moves.
- Dark-type Pokémon: With strong resistance to Dark-type moves and super-effective attacks against Dark-type Pokémon, Fairy-types have a clear advantage in this matchup.
- Bug-type Pokémon: Fairy-types have a solid resistance to Bug-type moves, making them a strong choice when facing off against Bug-type opponents.
- Dark-type Pokémon: In addition to being strong against Dark-types, Fairy-types also possess a resistance to Dark-type moves.
- Fighting-type Pokémon: Fairy-types can resist Fighting-type attacks, further increasing their advantage in battles against Fighting-type Pokémon.
Mastering Fairy Pokémon weaknesses and resistances are crucial for any trainer looking to succeed in battles. While Fairy-types may appear cute and harmless, their power against certain types of Pokémon should not be underestimated.
By using Poison or Steel-type Pokémon with matching movesets, trainers can effectively counter Fairy-type Pokémon in battle. At the same time, it is essential to be aware of the strengths and resistances of Fairy-types to avoid unfavorable matchups.
As you continue your Pokémon journey, keep these tips in mind when facing off against or using Fairy-type Pokémon to increase your chances of victory.
Read More From Remeshed: